Now incorporated into the Cawood property, Hunter's Hill was settled by Captain John Young, who arrived in Tasmania the same year as Marzetti: 1824. His wife's maiden name was Hunter, which is a pretty strong clue as to the source of the nomenclature. Young had a fine dairy, which developed a reputation for excellence far and wide. A cluster of three buildings, still in quite good condition, is evidence of that prosperous dairy.Read more
Recent Posts by admin
Thomas Frederick Marzetti, then aged 28, was granted 1,000 acres shortly after his arrival in May, 1824, and named the property CAWOOD. Soon afterwards he purchased 700 adjoining acres and added them to his estate. His wife Catherine Little and three children, Matilda, Maria and Sarah, were born at Cawood, as was Maria, who married Robert Patterson. T.F. Marzetti built the delightful old stone house and substantial outbuildings which are still standing. On 9th February, 1830,.Read more
The park-like setting of Cawood is reminiscent of the gracious stately manors of England, with a marvellously ordered mix of trees, stone and space. The house was built in Circa 1824 by Thomas Frederick Marzetti (an Englishman of Italian extraction) on 1000 acres, which was granted to him shortly after his arrival in Van Diemen's Land. He named his property after the town of Cawood on the River Ouse, in Yorkshire. Being the seat of the.Read more
Page 2 of 212
Recent Comments by admin
No comments by admin yet.